Tuesday, January 5, 2010

update from Molly in Cambodia

Hey friends all around the world!

I just back from a lovely trip to the States, Iowa to see the family and Georgia to see 2 of my great friends get hitched. That’s right I was a bridesmaid, all dolled up, that’s right even missionary girls can look gooood. Haha. It was a short, but lovely trip. The snow cancelled some of my opportunities to speak in different churches, but that meant more time with just Mom and Dad, which is always a good thing!


As you know I'm all about stories, but my Grandma sent me a letter of her year in review and so I thought I would follow in her foot steps:

Year in review:

Health Care School in Australia: 3 months of big campus YWAM, learning how to teach basic health care in villages and cities in developing nations. I use it nearly every day in Cambodia. Enjoyed BIG YWAM (Perth has like 300 staff!) for a few months, but it's good to be back to baby sized Battambang!

7 weeks in the Philippines and 4 weeks in Vanuatu: Health Care Outreach with 12 others. Taught in slums, jails, homes and churches (I like the slums and jails the best) Highlight of my year hands down was going back to Vanuatu. I was there in 2006 and I love the Ni-Van people. I got to circumnavigate another island, challenging people in their faith and doing health care. Oh the adventure with Jesus!

June-Aug: back in Cambodia, helping out at the base, hospitality, working with lots of church teams, translated for a huge organization that gives out rice to poor villages.

Sep-Nov: co-leading our staff developing school called Phase 2, teaching 3 staff about basic health care, going in to villages doing clinics and simple health care teaching, discipling our staff, helping to get vision from God for our base in the future as we are growing and developing. Taught for a week on Hearing God's Voice in DTS Phnom Pehn, I love teaching, I learn so much as a prepare for it.

Nov-Dec: 2-week YWAM Simple Health Care Seminar in Battambang, we hosted, 2 wonderful friends came up from Perth to teach it, we had 20 participants from 4 locations in South East Asia! The day after we finished up the seminar I jumped on a plane to good old Iowa, spent Thanksgiving with the whole Hagen clan, jumped on another plane to Gerogia and spent 4 days with great YWAM friends from all over the world. Jumped back on the plane to Iowa for a few days, jumped on another plane and back to home, sweet home Battambang Cambodia!

What’s NEXT?!?!: We’ve got one more month of Phase 2 School. We are having a agriculture seminar, doing medical outreach to one of staff’s village that doesn’t have a clinic for miles and miles from her house, no electricity, no beds…I’m SO excited, I love the sticks! Going to dooutreach at another YWAM base, to train their staff in simple health care!

Health Care Ministry Team: We are looking to buy a truck, we’ve already raised over 1,050 USD for it! To take a bunch of us and bunch of stuff in to the villages that our staff are from, and all around Battambang. A truck can get us there and back much better than little mopeds. We almost have enough money for a fetal heart monitor...that means expecting Mothers can hear their babies heart, trust me it's a beautiful sight when a Mom hears that rapid heart beating within her. Many women in Cambodia never hear this, but it's so simple and easy (even I can do it!) It's a powerful moment to share about why we are giving life: to know God.

TESOL: We will be hosting Teaching English as a Second Language this March for 6 weeks. For anyone, not just YWAM staff...we expect to have lots of new friends join us from around Asia for this training!

DTS ’10: Discipleship Training School starts the end of Feburary, if you are interesting in 6 months with just you and God loving on people, it’s not too late to apply!

The Bridge Church from Ottumwa is coming in March! My good friend, Marty, who used to be my camp counselor! is bringing a team from their new church to see how we can partner even more!

Fundraising: As we expand as a base, we get more and more staff we are looking at ways to generate some cash, we have many ideas, I’m really praying taking this on part time when Phase 2 is finished, as I see so many of our staff struggle month to month to even eat.

So that’s the year in short form! Hope you all are great and would love to hear from you, if you have questions or would like to know how to partner with me, feel free to e-mail. Tis’ the season for spreading hope, well actually it’s always the season to spread hope, the world needs it bad. Please pray for Cambodia.

Merry Christmas and joyous start to 2010! Now I’m off to play volleyball, outside in December…I love Asia.

Peace. Molly Hagen



address in Cambodia:

Molly Hagen

U of N Battambang

c/o Dr. Ouk Vitea

931 Potivong Road

Battambang

Cambodia


No comments:

Post a Comment