Thursday, January 28, 2010

bright spots

Our community is full of people and places that are bright spots- assets- in this Waterloo/Cedar Falls area that is home to approximately 100,000 people. My day yesterday reminded me of this repeatedly:

* I had the privilege to check out the pad of Waterloo's new mayor, Buck Clark, as I sat with him and one of the city planners. In his office that reflects his love of family and the outdoors, I sat encouraged by these city officials who serve our community and work tirelessly to see it thrive.

* Cottonwood Canyon- E. 4th St. A great place to log-in to wireless to do a little computer work and to enjoy a hot cup of coffee in a hip environment. While there, I was on the phone with an older gentleman who is a rock in the eastside community of Waterloo. I've been trying to get together with him, but he has been ill for the past few weeks. I told him I'd pray for him, and he said, "You can just pray right now over the phone." So, walking into the Cottonwood Canyon bathroom, I had the privilege to approach God together with this honorable elder of the faith.

* Boys n' Girls Club and Lilli Ferguson Child Development Center. Both needed programs for kids in our community. I stopped in yesterday... both are transitioning in these next months. Boys n Girls Club's director, Jason Barta, is leaving, so a new director will be sought. And Lilli Ferguson will be building on their property this summer. Good thing, too, as Allen Hospital Childcare Center closes its doors.

* Sookies Restaurant off of E. 4th St. on Argyle St. Owners Helen and Manuel Seenster are bright spots. Sookies is currently open 9-2, Tuesday through Saturday. Helen, also a pastor of a local congregation, and I had a real blessed time of sharing and prayer, and I enjoyed the bonus of a great cheeseburger. I've never tried anything else on their menu, but I can testify to great cheeseburgers.

*Harvest Vineyard, 12:45 p.m. Wed. Bible Studies. The topic was "faith" yesterday, and it's great to be in a room full of people whose life experiences have been quite different than mine and whom all have had lifechanging encounters with Jesus.

* Cedar Falls Recreation Center- What a bright spot to exercise these winter months. Our kids took a few friends after early-out, and we had a good time of basketball, jogging, raquetball, and hanging out.

* Cup of Joe- Wow, two coffee shops in one day. I love Cup of Joe. The four kids and I stopped for a beverage and several rounds of "Apple to Apple" at the "Joe" before going home. I find this a bright spot for many conversations, a spot to highlight local art talent, a gathering spot with a good feel.

* Orchard Hill Church, Wednesday evenings. The church is alive with families eating a meal together and high schoolers coming together with caring, interested adults for a time of worship, teaching, small group connecting. This is definitely a bright spot in many folks' lives weekly.

I don't know how God does it, but He's a Master Weaver. My prayer is that He'll weave together the bright spots in our community to create light so magnificent that all will praise our Father in Heaven.

1 comment:

  1. This cheery post brightened my day, Laura! Thanks for shining the spotlight on some great stops along the way in the Cedar Valley. I need to get out more!

    ReplyDelete