Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Reveal

This past fall our church took a spiritual health check-up called "Reveal". In the Reveal Study, participants answer about 30 minutes' worth of questions on-line, answers are processed, and a big packet of information comes back to the church that helps leadership and the congregation get a snapshot of where our collective body is "fit", "unhealthy", and areas where we could use some "exercise" and "nutrition". At staff meeting on Monday, our staff reviewed the multiple charts and notes that came back from the study. I believe that it was on the last page of the results that I read a statement that has stuck with me over these past few days.

I am willing to risk everything that is important in my life for Jesus Christ.

How true is that statement in my life? In yours?


3 comments:

  1. My initial response is not the right one. I want to deflect and say, "well, can anyone even know that in advance of losing what's important?" And what does that statement mean? That I would walk away from all I love and hold dear, right how-- and willingly trade places with my sister in Haiti, who has lost her husband,her children, her home, whatever little she had, if that's what Jesus asked of me? And in the midst, still praise His name?
    Not a question to answer casually.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This really isn't a question that can be casually answered. But on the other hand it is one that truely only has one answer. I mean really what choice do I have. Living in this world things happen. What is happening in Haiti is an example that has no words to explain... Where do we go with that? With the many difficulties (which seem so little right now) I have faced over the last few years, I have come to realize, I am so very greatful that Christ is my Lord and Savior and He is with me. There are things we will go through, with or without Him is the question. Yes, I will do what He asks of me, because I know what ever HE asks of me HE will be with me. I will have it no other way. He is my Jesus! He is my Hope!
    Your sister in Christ Jesus,
    Shelly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really thoughtful comments, Shelly and Maribeth. Thanks for your answers. I think right now even as I type this that there are some things important in my life that I might need to risk and give up so that I can know, love, and follow Jesus more fully. When I read the statement, I don't think about whether I'll be ready to give up important things in my life should my walk require it someday, but it rather helps me to think about what might need to be surrendered right now that might be causing a roadblock to deeper discipleship.

    ReplyDelete