Tuesday, January 26, 2010

prodigal

Quick, what's the first definition that comes to mind when you hear the word "prodigal"? When I was asked this in a class I'm taking on Sundays, I thought of the word "wayward". That was my definition because I've always linked "prodigal" with "prodigal son", a parable found in Luke 15 of the Bible of a rebellious, wayward younger son who wanders from the Father, squanders his money on reckless living, and later comes back home.

But the class I'm taking is called "The Prodigal God". Wayward wouldn't fit here as an adjective. The actual definition of prodigal is "recklessly extravagant" or "having spent everything". That fits our God. Recklessly extravagant with love and grace as demonstrated in His son who spent everything to buy us back.

Just thought I'd pass on a new learning of a word in case you didn't know it either. This class is focused on the Tim Keller's book, The Prodigal God if you are interested in a book to read.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! I too thought of the word more on the concept of "wayward" so "reckless extravagant" or "having spent everything" brings in a whole new sight to things... Even a new outlook on the prodigal son, by looking at how we have a prodigal God. The prodigal son obviously recklessly spent everything on extravagant "worldly" things... only to loose everything- but inturn he knew what it meant to loose everything, and in the end could be more greatful for anything he could receive... Do you think maybe God looks at His loss, as such a gain? Because of Him, He receives us, could we be a great gain to Him? O.K. going to deep in my thought process... He must really love us thats all I got to say!!
    Your sister in Christ Jesus,
    Shelly

    ReplyDelete