Tuesday, November 17, 2009

no more mud puddles

"If you want to build a ship, don't summon people to buy wood, prepare tools, distribute jobs, and organize the work, rather teach people the yearning for the wide, boundless ocean."
-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"A great deal more failure is the result of an excess of caution than of bold experimentation with new ideas. The frontiers of the kingdom of God were never advanced by men and women of caution." - J. Oswald Chambers

These quotes speak to me about the need to inspire such a vision of living in the waters of the Kingdom that we comfortable and scared folks will risk our comfort and convenience, our security and safety to venture out into the deep.

I do not wish to live a Christian life where little is seen of the power of God, where life looks much the same as it does for people outside of faith, where there is no expectation for the mighty work of the Holy Spirit. Don't you long for the adventure that Jesus is calling us to? I know that I do, but I also recognize the battle to let go of that which I grasp. Might I trust God enough to begin to let go? The more I experience and taste and see that God is good, the more I am willing to let go bit by bit. I am sure grateful for the community God is forming around me that helps me step out in courage and faith!

(The quotes above remind me of something written by C.S. Lewis about how we are offered a vacation at sea, but we grow content to sit and play in a mud puddle instead.)

No comments:

Post a Comment