Wednesday, November 11, 2009

1,086 kitchen items

So, part of today's challenge said that the average American possesses 10,000 things. And the challenge suggested counting possessions in one room. This morning, I walked systematically through my kitchen and listed all items which included things like 39 magnets on the fridge, 56 small spice containers on a spice rack, 44 glasses and cups, around 150 magic markers in a school supply cupboard under the cereal cupboard, 10 frozen rotten bananas in the freezer, etc. I counted plates, silverware, utensils, junk drawer items, canned goods, fridge items, you name it. 1,086 things. As I considered our basement, our crawl space, our garage, our clothes closets, my daughter's room full of stuffed animals and books and polly pockets and miniatures, I am quite certain that our family is far above the average of 10,000 items.

Instantly, my mind went to two places: The first being the AIDS Village last year, where we'd walk through a simulated path of a child's life and maybe found a bed, a chair, a bowl, a dress. I imagine you could count the possessions of most third world families in less than 10 minutes.

My other memory was of the time when my husband and I lived on the island of Guam for two years. We basically shipped over things we would need and used about everything we had in that apartment. It was simple. Maintenance was very minimal. And we also offered more hospitality and had more community in that place than I can remember in any other time of our married life.

I'm struck by the amount of resources we tie up....time and energy and money....in our home lives and the amount of maintenance that keeps us from out-reaching, from building community and deepening friendships, from seeking justice in the world. Recognizing this, and recognizing the one life we have here, I am challenged to evaluate how much of what we have and do is actually ruled by the Lordship of Jesus in my life...how much has eternal significance....and what is it that has really produced the most joy and and Christ-centered adventure and fulfillment in the days I'm living out here on earth?

My prayer today: Jesus, help us to see how we might free up more time, money, mental space, and energy for the Kingdom adventure you call our family to. Help us not to only see, but to experience the joy of the Lord in obedience. Give us your vision and passion and love for your people in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment