Monday, November 23, 2009

building capacity

Ever since Bob Lupton left us with his institute teachings a week ago, I've been thinking about him challenging us to "build capacity" within people and organizations. Development work is about building capacity, and building capacity will require relationship.


I served with my daughter on Saturday at Main Street Waterloo. While she and I were working to change out light bulbs on the big wreaths displayed on 4th Street, I found myself having conversation with a man who works on the design team for Main Street Waterloo. He asked me what I thought about the improvements downtown, and I told him that I really loved the brilliant magenta flower baskets that hung off the street lights all summer. The gentleman told me that it actually takes water everyday to keep them so vibrant, and that they pay an employee 4 hours daily to water them. I inquired if a job like that is ever given to someone who is under-resourced, and he replied that the person, of course, needs to be reliable, and that Main Street has learned some by trial and error with their hiring practices.


This conversation made me consider some questions. How many jobs are out there with easily attainable job skills that would offer work to those in poverty who need work? How can we connect these jobs and people? How can we work with people and walk with the under-resourced to help them become reliable, dependable workers and to grow in responsibility and excellence, relational intelligence, etc... Is there a way to become a liason between the job place and the employee to help improve the chances of success for the employee?


All of this would be relational work, but I haven't found an answer for development that isn't. And it's hard work that is not guaranteed. I have tried to do some of this in a relationship that I'm involved in, and my friend ended up not showing up for work several times and losing the job anyway.


All this to say that I just think there's no easy formula and that development work is going to require people getting involved with people. Programs won't transform...they might provide a structure or a resource that is helpful, but it will be life on life that will help a person build their capacity over time. I've discovered that the only thing I think is guaranteed is that it will be a messy journey. I only have to look at the areas of my life where I desire "capacity building" and change to recognize the familiar zigzag pattern in a life.


So, is there a hopeful word at the end of this post? Yes, two. Jesus. Thanks be to God for His good news of rescue and redemption and grace and lifechanging power through Jesus. And people. Thanks to people who are hard at the work of mentoring and sharing in life with people who need this this kind of a hand up.

2 comments:

  1. Laura- I think there is a program that could be a good resource. I talked to Todd about this and he has a cd from CCDA that may help. It is the founder of Jobs for Life talking at ccda. I think it would be worth a listen when Todd is done with it. It is #78 elevating life through work. Brian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brian, I knew that there had to be others much farther ahead in this job thing...I'll listen when it comes back from Todd. I just listened to the cd where the guy at Nexus Church helped find 70 people jobs in his community of Charlotte. That was pretty amazing.

    ReplyDelete