Sunday, February 8, 2009

With Justice for All ch.1

In this first chapter, Perkins writes, "God was beginning to show me that the gospel had to be more than just "evangelism." The gospel, rightly understood, is holistic- it responds to man as a whole person; it doesn't single out just spiritual or just physical needs and speak only to those."

JP and his wife, Vera Mae, began to understand this as they moved back to Mendenhall, Mississippi, in 1960. I began to understand this value of holistic ministry when I served at the House of Hope in 2003-05. Amidst my time with moms who were experiencing deep need, God began to help me see that the response to that need was both relational and holistic. Physical, emotional, spiritual needs were all a part of the same healing journey that God desired for these young women and their children. For my own journey too. God created us as a whole person and wants to redeem our whole person in Christ. In fact, that's what we are to be about in all of our church communities....holistic ministry.

What about you? Where has God shown you the need for a holistic approach to evangelism and discipleship?

What implications does this have for you as you or your church reaches out to people?

Thought for the day: Consider how Jesus's ministry was holistic. He most often addressed a felt need of a person before entering into spiritual conversation.

2 comments:

  1. I'm just checking out this blog for the first time and I'm excited to think about MISSIONAL work... which as a stay-at-home mom, sometimes just thinking and praying is about all I can do some days. I have a comment in response to the "holistic" approach of physical, emotional, and spiritual needs. About a year ago, I made the decision to start really focusing on my own physical needs of eating healthy and exercising on a regular part of my life. About a month ago, I took a few weeks off from exercising outside because of the cold and tried doing the work out tapes but realized it just wasn't the same. I never would have dreamed that my physical exercise would become a necessity in my life. I usually go jogging 3 times a week for about 30 minutes and afterwards I feel so much better for the day. As a mom of a 2 year old this aspect of my life helps me to be a "holistic" mom/wife to my family. I believe that spiritual and emotional are just important but we'll save that for another day. Thanks Laura for your leadership in mission work; and for keeping us challenged and motivated to be on Jesus’ mission!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather, welcome to the blog! Thank you for sharing about your own holistic journey. I am learning that my physical body and how I treat it with sleep, food, and exercise really does affect the emotional, spiritual, mental me as well. Thanks for your inspiring example of ordering your life to care for yourself so that you can offer the best of your whole self to God and others.

    ReplyDelete