Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Jesus makes the difference

I was with a group of about 40 people who sat and listened to 4 people from Harvest Vineyard speak on the topic of homelessness last night. They shared their stories, they spoke on the contributing factors of homelessness and how people cope and survive. They spoke about the needs of our community. But through all of the storytelling and speaking, we could hear the hope of Jesus. People's lives changed inside out by our redeeming God. People's lives changed through a community of Truth and love, Christ's Church. Through the whole night, it was clear that Jesus is the healer and helper, and we are to be his incarnation, his hands and feet, to provide hope to hurting and homeless neighbors.

I have listened to others in our community speak on homelessness. I have listened as they also have spoken about the needs and the realities of homelessness right here in the Cedar Valley. I was so struck last night as I left the Harvest gathering as to what a difference I felt in my spirit last night compared to the other times I have been in a homelessness learning community. In the past, I have often left with a feeling of overwhelming despair and guilt. Last night, I left praising God, and though I still feel the burden for our community and the same sense of urgency, I experienced hope and promise and energy last night. What was the difference? Jesus. When you hear the story of Harvest and you begin to rub shoulders with this grace community of people whose lives are transformed by the living Christ, you can not help but be drawn into the community and to desire to live and love and work side by side in order to share Jesus with people in a very holistic manner.

It was a beautiful, holy experience last night. Thanks be to our big and loving and powerful God in whom nothing is impossible.

1 comment:

  1. I couldn't agree more... I went into this experience "heavy laden" with a lot on my mind... but left so inspired and encouraged about who Jesus is and what He can do. It was such a special night, and I'm so thankful to everyone who shared.

    ReplyDelete