Tuesday, February 17, 2009

aussie update from Molly

As I finish up my 6th week here in Perth, Australia...I am amazed how fast it has gone! . So far I've studied about, Target Diseases prevention and treatment, Eyes/Ears/Throats, AIDS/HIV prevent and how to help those infected with HIV, Mother and Child health, how to an injection and so much more!

Today was injection day, that's right we got to stick each other with needles, and boy did I enjoy it! One girl who was using my arm as pin cushion was not so confident in her skills, as she approached my arm I could see her hands shaking with fear, I tried to calm her down, but with great shakiness a piece of medal was pushed slowly and painfully in to my arm. Slowly she injected the saline water in to my arm, still shaking back and forth...it seemed like she thought it was more of a joy-stick to a video game then a needle inside of my arm. After that I picked a new partner.

So many the diseases that we in America don't worry about is because we have these wonderful things called vaccines. Polio, Measles, Mumps, Tetanus, Diphtheria Hep A, Hep B and more can all be avoided by a vaccine. But so few people do not have access to these simple things that can save lots of lives.

I also enjoyed mother/child health week. We learned about charting children's growth to make sure they are on the right track, helping more children stay away from malnourishment. We have some pregnant friends here in Perth, one of the mornings they came in and we got to palpate them (feel around the abdomen for the baby) and we also got to hear the babies heart beat! It was one of the most amazing sounds I've ever heard! It's sounds like horse running, it beats so fast, over 120 times per minute! It's such a beautiful sound!

We also learned how to have a anti natal clinic, for pregnant women, to help them make sure their pregnancy is going well. I feel like I know so much more now! After a week of talking about and looking at birth I'm still not to wild about it happening to me, but I like being on the side of helping others do it well! Yes, that's much more comfortable!

I am 1/2 way done here in Perth. At the end of March we (12 of us) will be heading to the Philippines for 7 weeks to work with a group of YWAM'ers with their community development. After that, I head to Vanuatu for a month! In 2006, while sitting by the ocean outside of Port Vila, Vanuatu I asked God, "Can I come back to the islands God?" And I'm going back!! For first 3 weeks in Vanuatu we are training a group of Ni-Vanuatu health care workers, they come from all the outer islands, they will be the primary health care provider on some of the islands and God is intrusting us to help them know how to help others! WOAH! I feel slightly under qualified. just slightly...yah. The last week we should have the opportunity to go with them to their island and help them at their local clinics. I am so excited for that month in Vanuatu!

If you ever think to pray for me, that would be fantastic. You can pray for me...
to comprehend all that I need to know to really see people's lives changed by offering them basic health care.

to get direction about how to take this back to Cambodia, what it looks like and how to use health care in the best way to glorify God!

to focus on what God has for me here in Perth. Yes, I'm here for training, but I've learned more than just health care. There are people here who I'm called to influence, there are people God has placed here to speak in to my life, I don't want to miss it. I have also been experiencing more of God's love. I've been learning how to stir up my own faith, taking responsiblity for my growth in being more like Jesus.

Thanks for praying for me and believing in me. I miss ya'll in Cambodia, Iowa and all the other wonderful nations of the earth...oh and pray that God would tell people from Perth to move to Cambodia! Yah!

peace. molly.

1 comment:

  1. I miss you too, Molly! Thanks for your update. It makes it a little easier to pray more specifically for you. How great that you get to go back to Vanuatu!
    Love, Laura

    ReplyDelete