Thursday, October 3, 2013

Kingdom Service Day 3: Triple S 3 P

Wayne Gordon, founding pastor of Lawndale Community Church, and president of CCDA, challenged us in his messages at National Conference a few weeks ago to stay close to God.  We don't just drift into spiritual growth and maturity, and so "Coach" as people lovingly call Gordon, challenged us to three things that I'm taking on as priority, as my discipline in them has slipped these past two years, and my soul and life can tell...

1. One hour alone with God everyday.  


2. Triple S 3 P stands for Silence, Solitude, Scripture, Pray, Praise, Put it in writing.  This is a great way to spend that hour.


3.  Sabbath.  Stop for one day.  It's so important that God lists it in the 10 Commandments.  Turn off the computer, cell phone, ipod.  Stop working.  Offer this trust to God.


As people who follow Christ, we are all called to follow him into the pain in the world.  In Kingdom Service, we find deep injustices and deep pain.  We need deep theology and deep joy and deep communion with God and each other in order to love well and shine brightly.

I desire this life of love, communion, and joy-filled service, and so I will fight for the space and rhythm that creates time alone with God each day and Sabbath rest.  I write this as a commitment because I know how easy it is to think it, say it, and how hard it can be to faithfully do it! I hope you'll join me in the fight!


No comments:

Post a Comment