Thursday, October 10, 2013

Kingdom Service Day 10: Noticing

God speaks to us in the everyday, ordinary moments of our lives.  Today, friend Ben Patterson shares about the power of Kingdom Service when we're open to notice...

There is Power in a Simple Introduction

As I set out on a three-block walk to the courthouse, preparing to report for my jury duty assignment, I could see that a stranger would intersect my path on the sidewalk. We’d be walking together.

It was a cold morning. I wanted to keep my head down and walk alone, but keeping to myself would have given a cold shoulder more severe than the morning temperature.

So, I initiated a conversation.

“Where are ya headed today?” I asked.

“Oh… I’m walking to apply for a job over at Burger King. I hear they are hiring,” the man replied. “I’m sure you’re going to get yourself a nice coffee this morning?”

“No,” I said. “I don’t drink coffee anymore. I’m actually headed to the courthouse to report for jury duty.”

“Oh, man. Jury duty. I’ve never had to do that,” he said with a smile.

“Me neither. It’s my first time.”

At this point, I thought about offering an introduction because I wanted to know his name. But I talked myself out of it, thinking that he wouldn’t care about my name and it would make things awkward.

We continued our conversation, talking and laughing about jury duty stories we’ve heard from others who have taken part in the process.

Our conversation was cut short as I arrived to the courthouse parking lot. I said, “Thanks for talking, have a good day.”

Without missing a beat he replied, “Yea, you too. Hey, my name is Joe.”

“Joe?”

“Yea.”

“Alright, sweet. I’m Ben.”

And with that we went our separate ways.

I couldn’t help but shake my head and smile as I walked into the courthouse. Three things immediately came to mind:

1 – I was going to pass on even having that conversation! Why? It was great to talk with someone I didn’t know.

2 – I didn’t think he even cared about my name, so I avoided an introduction. Why?

3 – I felt cared for when he introduced himself.

There is value in having conversations with people you don’t know. And there is power in a simple introduction.



No comments:

Post a Comment