Friday, October 4, 2013

Kingdom Service Day 4: Prayerwalking

Love God. Love Neighbor.  One way that helps me increase my love for both God and neighbor is to pray while walking through a neighborhood. I think it might just be the most important way of acting locally in Kingdom Service.

Last Tuesday morning, a friend and I walked Walnut Neighborhood for an hour, praying for the families, the churches, the businesses (even the boarded up ones), the nonprofits in the neighborhood.  We came across a friend who was helping to move a woman who had lived in her home for 30 years and is now downsizing to an apartment.  We met a resident who was walking along with great difficulty, and we prayed together for healing for her feet.  We prayed that Jesus would be known and would transform each household; we prayed for abundant life and restoration in every way.  We prayed against the evils of violence, addiction, racism, and hopelessness.  We prayed for hope. community.  vision.  passionate faith. compassion.  justice. We thanked God for being the God of hope. community. vision. passionate faith. compassion. justice.

Every time I plan on prayerwalking, I battle an attitude of "I really don't feel like going" and "this is a bit awkward".  And everytime I bulldoze past those feelings and actually go, I am blessed so much.  Prayerwalking always connects my heart more with God and with the neighborhood.  I have a greater love, a greater hope, and a better understanding of who it is that works to accomplish His good and perfect will.

I plan to walk Walnut and pray each Tuesday from 9-10 a.m. if you'd ever like to join me.  Or perhaps you'd like to give prayerwalking a try in your own neighborhood.    

If you have a story of how prayerwalking has impacted faith and life in your experience, please share a comment!


No comments:

Post a Comment