Monday, June 28, 2010

pass it on

Last year, everything lined up perfectly for me, a non-runner, to begin training for my first marathon with a 74 person team called "Iowans for Africa". I can't begin to detail how clearly God pointed me to that marathon through a whole host of circumstances, and it was one of those things that I knew was just the right timing and the right thing.

This year, as the now 250+ member team began to train this Spring for either the 1/2 or full Des Moines Marathon, so many things did not line up for me. For a time, I intended to jump into training with the team, however I had conflicts the first several Saturday team runs. I was also just less resolute, and continued to tell myself I'd sign up for the 1/2 and would get serious about joining the team after our two week vacation in early June.

A few mornings after our vacation, I was preparing for an early morning jog when it hit me. There, in front of me, sat my daughter, an eleven year old who is also an early bird like her mom. Sara, who has little interest in organized sports, seemed inspired by the idea of running last year when she observed all of my marathon madness. She even ran a 3 mile race last summer with a friend...largely because I think she saw me go from being a non-runner to an enthusiastic marathoner. The answer was clear before me. This was not the year to join with the team in another long distance race, but it is the year to invite Sara into this adventure.

Nine days ago, I asked Sara if she wanted to go on a two mile jog with me one morning. Since then, we've been out on our country roads multiple times and have even set a goal of running the newly offered 10K together at Park to Park on September 11. We have our own little training calendar that will help us increase from 2 miles to 6 miles over the next 10 weeks, and it is absolutely the right timing and the right thing this year.

Last summer, I marveled at the parallels and the role that running and being on the marathon team had with the spiritual journey. Training, discipline, perseverance, community, encouragement, breakthroughs, and more. This year, I need to add mentoring to that list. One of the keys in our spiritual walks is that we mentor and raise up younger generations in the faith. And that seems to be what God has lined up for me this year on this running journey. And, like any other time I've "mentored" someone else, I end up growing so much myself. That to say, Sara out-paced and dogged me on a two mile run the other day! What a joy this adventure will be with my daughter...for however long she'll run next to her slow mama!

Only be careful, and watch yourselves closely so that you do not forget the things your eyes have seen or let them slip from your heart as long as you live. Teach them to your children and to their children after them. Deuteronomy 4:9





1 comment: