Friday, June 25, 2010

heartbreak

When is the last time you have wept over the brokenness in our community?

Last month, I began reading Lupton's Renewing the City, a book that looks at Nehemiah and translates it into a contemporary urban renewal context. I decided to lay that book down early on and first spend some time in the biblical text of Nehemiah, and so that is what I did along our vacation.

In chapter one, when Nehemiah hears the report from Hanani about the appalling conditions of Jerusalem and those living there, the text says, "When I heard this, I sat down and wept. I mourned for days, fasting and praying before the God of Heaven."

Nehemiah's heart breaks over the city. Compassion is the first requirement of justice work, is it not? To grieve with God's heart, to see with God's eyes, to lament the rhythms of our city that do not enhance life, but rather detract from life. It's through compassion that we will rightly be moved to action.

And in his time of lament, what did Nehemiah pray? We might think that it would be a prayer of supplication....a plea for help from God. But if you read chapter one, Nehemiah, addressing God with adoration, urgency, and passion, first spends time confessing and repenting the part that he and his people have played in detracting from life by not following God's ways. "I'm including myself, I and my ancestors, among those who have sinned against you. We've treated you like dirt: We haven't done what you have told us, haven't followed your commands, and haven't respected the decisions you gave to Moses your servant."

It is after a time of confession and repentance, that Nehemiah prays for restoration, a restoration that comes through the returning to God and obedience of His ways.

This chapter helps me live in three questions:

1. How much care and compassion do I have for the fractured and hurting lives and systems throughout our community?

2. Am I willing to examine and confess the part I play in working against God's ways and purposes of healing and restoring? (my values, priorities, choices)

3. Am I willing to seek restoration by turning to God, trusting Him, aligning my heart with His, and allowing him to order my days and life to fulfill His will, not mine?

No comments:

Post a Comment