Saturday, June 12, 2010

one way to consider justice...

I am still on vacation getting a lot of that space and play I recommended for myself last week in a post. I'm at my brother's in Salem, OR, now, after a week of traveling west to Oregon, enjoying several sites and a stop at my other brother's in Montana. During the road time, as my dad drives and my mom and our kids read and watch movies, I have been able to do some reading as well. I've been reading through Nehemiah in the NIV and Message, Ephesians in the NIV and Message, and spending some time with the Scriptures that have the word "justice." A couple of days ago, I read through the introduction of Ephesians in the Message, and to me, it is a great passage of what I consider when I think of the work of justice. Here it is:

"Paul's letter to the Ephesians joins together what has been torn apart in our sin-wrecked world. He begins with an exuberant exploration of what Christians believe about God, and then, like a surgeon skillfully setting a compound fracture, "sets" this belief in God into our behavior before God so that the bones-belief and behavior- knit together and heal.

Once our attention is called to it, we notice these fractures all over the place. There is hardly a bone in our bodies that has escaped injury, hardly a relationship in city or job, school or church, family or country, that isn't out of joint or limping in pain. There is much work to be done.

And so Paul goes to work. He ranges widely, from heaven to earth and back again, showing how Jesus, the Messiah, is eternally and tirelessly bringing everything and everyone back together. He also shows us that in addition to having this work done in and for us, we are participants in this most urgent work. Now that we know what is going on, that the energy of reconciliation is the dynamo at the heart of the universe, it is imperative that we join in vigorously and perseveringly, convinced that every detail in our lives contributes (or not) to what Paul describes as God's plan worked out by Christ, "a long-range plan in which everything would be brought together and summed up in him, everything in deepest heaven, everything on planet earth."

I don't know how you think when you hear the word, "justice", but this passage describes well what I think about when I consider the work of justice as right relationship.

2 comments:

  1. I love this line in particular..."convinced that every detail in our lives contributes (or not) to what Paul describes as God's plan worked out by Christ, a long-range plan in which everything would be brought together and summed up in him, everything in deepest heaven, everything on planet earth."
    *** What if I, what if we, started to use that kind of lens as we go about our daily, ordinary lives. That we either contribute to God's plan, or not?
    Happy birthday, Laura... only you could write something this deep in the back of the van filled with family, while a movie plays and people converse!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi MB. Being in Salem at my brother's home for the past 2 1/2 days has given me lots of space. Even with my nephew's graduation and periods of the day with relatives visiting, there has been lots of down time. Walks through parks and neighborhoods have been lovely (the roses in Oregon are aMAZING...all the flowers in fact. Your family will love it in July), and I have some quiet moments in the beginning of the day to sit and read and write.

    Thanks for the birthday wishes...we're heading to the Oregon Coast later this morning and the weather looks to be beautiful.

    p.s. I also love that line "convinced that every detail in our lives contributes (or not)..." In fact, I was planning on posting about that line soon. Wouldn't you know, as soon as we talked about not using the word justice, my brain will not turn off about the meaning it has in and for my life and others'lives.

    ReplyDelete