Tuesday, February 2, 2010

marathon anyone?

That's right. Last year's marathon was such a high for so many people...physically, spiritually, emotionally, socially....that Don Williams is at it again. He's gathering a 2010 team...there are 130 interested folks so far from all over our community...to run the Des Moines Marathon on October 27. And teammates who are interested can fundraise to build a school with our partner village in Mozambique. How cool is that? We have folks traveling there each year, and I believe Orchard Hill friends sponsor around 200 children in that region currently. As of now, the children meet under a big tree for school. They've tried to build two schools with raw materials, but both have washed away in the rains.

So, interested in running a marathon? If so, email dwilliams@orchardhillchurch.org to get on his emails. No commitment needed to get his informational emails, and no need to be connected to Orchard Hill Church. I believe there was no experience of my life like last year's training experience. The bonds of friendship formed were incredible. The encouragement, the courage and risk-taking as a community, the accountability, the inspiration...wow.

I'm thinking of riding RAGBRAI this summer with my family, and I'll also be on the road two weeks out West, so rather than train for a 2nd marathon, I believe I'd like to train with the team and run the 1/2 marathon in Des Moines that day. If you've ever pondered the idea of a marathon, this might be your year! And if I can run a marathon, anyone can!

1 comment:

  1. Seriously, to anyone who is on the fence, you should do it! Training for my first marathon was the time of the largest spiritual growth in my life. I found both a passion for running and a passion for writing. God bubbled up so many feelings in me, during those long times with Him on the trail, that I couldn't hold it in anymore. It was a remarkable time of change and growth.

    ReplyDelete