Saturday, February 27, 2010

classic Saturday

This week's devotion comes from a real Ancient, St. Augustine (354-430). The quotes are from his autobiography work entitled Confessions. Is he talking directly to anyone else besides me?

"My inner self was a house divided against itself. Why does this strange phenomenon occur? The mind gives an order to the body and is at once obeyed, but when it gives an order to itself, it is resisted. What causes it? The mind commands the hand to move and is so readily obeyed that the order can scarcely be distinguished from its execution. Yet the mind is mind and the hand is part of the body. But when the mind commands the mind to make an act of will, these two are one and the same and yet the order is not obeyed. Why does this happen?.....The reason, then, why the command is not obeyed is that it is not given with the full will."

"The same is true when the higher part of our nature aspires eternal bliss while our lower self is held back by the love of temporal pleasure. It is the same soul that wills both, but it wills neither of them with the full force of the will. So it is wrenched in two and suffers great trials because while truth teaches it to prefer one course, habit prevents it from relinquishing the other."

"I stood on the brink of the resolution, waiting to take fresh breath. I tried again and came a little nearer still, so that I could almost reach out and grasp it. But I did not reach out to grasp it, because I held back from the step by which I should die to death and become alive to life. My lower instincts, which had taken hold of me, were stronger than the higher, which were untried. And the closer I came to the moment which was to mark the great change in me, the more I shrank from it in horror. But it did not drive me back or turn me from my purpose: it merely left me hanging in suspense. "


"..For I felt that I was still the captive of my sins, and in misery I kept crying, 'How long shall I go on saying, 'Tomorrow, tomorrow'?..."

"While I stood trembling at the barrier, on the other side I could see the chaste beauty of Continence in all her serene, unsullied joy, as she modestly beckoned me to cross over and to hesitate no more.....She smiled to give me courage, as though she were saying, 'Can you not do what these men and women do? Do you think they find the strength to do it in themselves and not in the Lord their God? It was the Lord their God who gave me to them. Why do you try to stand in your own strength and fail? Cast yourself upon God and have no fear. He will not shrink away and let you fall. Cast yourself upon him without fear, for he will welcome you and cure you of your ills."

No comments:

Post a Comment