Ever have a day when you notice your heart is particularly dark and cold? I do. I recognize it when I realize that I'm being 98% critical, as if there's been a huge joy-suck that has drained my being of joy and laughter and love and hope. Kind of like a Harry Potter "dementor" has gotten to me. Well, I found this list of John Piper's that gives me a few prescription pointers.
How shall we fight for joy? John Piper
1. Realize that authentic joy in God is a gift.
2. Realize that joy must be fought for relentlessly.
3. Resolve to attack all known sin in your life.
4. Learn the secret of gutsy guilt- how to fight like a justified sinner.
5. Realize that the battle is primarily a fight to see God for who He is.
6. Meditate on the Word of God day and night.
7. Pray earnestly and continually for open heart/eyes and an inclination for God.
8. Learn to preach to yourself rather than listen to yourself.
9. Spend time with God-saturated people who help you see God and fight the fight.
10. Be patient in the night of God's seeming absence.
11. Get the rest, exercise, and proper nutrition that your body was designed by God to have.
12. Make a proper use of God's revelation in nature.
13. Read great books about God and biographies of great saints.
14. Do the hard and loving thing for the sake of others.
15. Get a global vision for the cause of Christ and pour yourself out for the unreached.