Tuesday, January 20, 2009

why fast?

Here are some benefits from fasting that I have found to be true for me-

1. Fasting is an essential means of pulling away from the world and getting closer to God.
2. Fasting allows me to filter my life and to set myself apart to seek the Lord.
3. In our journey of sanctification, fasting helps me examine my motives, attitudes, desires, spirit, flesh.
4. God assigns us to fast and pray. It has always been a normal part of a relationship with God.
5. My inner self slows down and I am more sensitive to the things of God...more tuned in.
6. Fasting has helped me re-evaluate my life, identify with the poor, worship God, identify and break bad habits and addictions, grow closer to God, learn better self-control, purify body and soul, and repent of sin.
7. Fasting research talks about it being a spring cleaning for the body, and I've found that to be true. Flushes out toxins built up from all the junk that goes in. In juice fasting, there's a real "sweet spot" of energy and clarity after the digestive system shuts down three days into a fast. Helps to regenerate and heal the body. Sharpens senses and mental processes.
8. I open myself up to God better in fasting and am more focused on Him and more expectant of the Spirit's inworking and outworking in my life.
9. Fasting and praying helps me to do battle with the evil one.
10. Fasting has been a way to renewal. The discipline breaks me out of the routine of the world and helps me to offer my whole self to God. It reminds me of my dependency on God and causes the roots of my relationship with Jesus to go deeper.

A website that I frequented a lot in early days of fasting is http://www.freedomyou.com/.

Would you care to share how God has worked through fasting and praying in your life?

1 comment:

  1. There isn't much that is healthy for you, especially these days. I like to occasionally take breaks and allow my body to naturally dispose of all toxins. This is why I use 24-72 hour water fasts. When you do short fasts, you can see and smell the toxins being disposed of. I like to do at least a 24 hour fast weekly and feel much better since I started. Spiritually, it strengthens you. There is a reason Jesus fasted. We can't function properly when we are full of toxins gathered here on earth.

    ReplyDelete