Monday, January 12, 2009

Go fast and live

Fasting...we're not to speak of such a discipline in our lives, but I fear that sometimes the lack of speaking out about this spiritual practice has resulted in the lack of people knowing about or engaging in the discipline. So, I'm going to risk writing about this a bit in some posts over the next while, mostly because of how God has moved in my life through the practice of prayer and fasting over the past 8 years.

I'm currently spending the first 3 weeks of the new year on a "Daniel Fast"...(danielfast.wordpress.com). It's a partial fast...fruits, vegetables, whole grains only. I've fasted before without food (drinking juices only), but this is the first time of eating specific foods for a period of time. The first 7 days were not difficult after a holiday season of "feasting" ...but I've increasingly had to tune into Jesus to stay the course, and that's one of the benefits of fasting for me....it helps me focus and diligently seek after God. I'll write more another day about fasting...but in the meantime, how about you...what practices help you tune into Jesus?

3 comments:

  1. This is good, Laura... I'm glad you're sharing the truths you learn through fasting. I know God speaks to you and unveils through it... I've been struck lately with the discipline of silence. Holding back. Keeping my words fewer... It's funny how it works, though. I may be quieter, voice-wise, but now I've started a blog. My days still seem to be filled with words, but I'm working on listening more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's funny that you're writing about fasting.. lately God has been teaching me a lot about this and how he blesses and honors our obedience in it. The last time I fasted, I was doing it for the salvation of a specific friend of ours here in this country. That same day, she bluntly asked me what I believe about Jesus! God really works through this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The question "What practices help you tune into Jesus?" for me lately, I would have to say, asking the Lord to break my heart over the things that break His heart... As I "practice" that, He doesn't fail me... I find myself weeping over people, places, and situations of various kinds. I've come to realize that I need to be both tough & tender in order to fulfill my calling. --- nice blog, Laura :)

    ReplyDelete