Saturday, March 21, 2009

the next right decision

My friend who is recovering from a drug addiction called the other evening, but I did not catch her call. I think that was a divine deal, as she then reached out to call another friend who is strong in drug recovery for many years now. My friend was feeling stressed and overwhelmed and has had trouble ordering her days lately. There's much reform needed in many areas and a lot of prioritizing decisions that have to be made each day. She needed to talk with someone who had walked the road and could offer experience, strength, and hope to her.

When I spoke with the friend who is further on the road of recovery, she told me what she had relayed to our mutual pal. Words like, "...you've got to work the program every day....keeping yourself in the Bible and going to Bible Study/recovery groups is your top priority.....and when you're overwhelmed, break it down to the decision in front of you, asking two questions: what would Jesus do? and what is the next right decision?"

Aren't these good rules for life? "keep yourself in the Bible daily....surround with community of believers to encourage and strengthen...consider what Jesus would do in your decisions...and rather than trying to live too far down the road, ask yourself 'what is the next right decision?' " For it's not just about drug recovery. I have a lot of reform needed in areas of my life and a lot of prioritizing decisions that have to be made each day. It's good to "work the program" and to talk with Jesus and others who can offer me experience, strength, and hope.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this, Laura... your friend is right, and I'll pray now for those is a particularly hard battle with addiction. The "next right decision" is such a great way to approach a day...

    ReplyDelete