Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Willard Wednesdays

The Divine Conspiracy: Chapter 1 Entering the Eternal Kind of Life Now (pp.21-25)

"It is nevertheless true that we are made to 'have dominion' within an appropriate domain of reality.  This is the core of the likeness or image of God in us and is the basis of the destiny for which we were formed.  We are, all of us, never-ceasing spiritual beings with a unique eternal calling to count for good in God's great universe."

"Our 'kingdom' is simply the range of our effective will".  Whatever we genuinely have the say over is our kingdom.  And our having the say over something is precisely what places it within our kingdom.  In creating human beings, God made them to rule, to reign, to have dominion in a limited sphere.  Only so they can be persons."  

"However unlikely it may seem from our current viewpoint, God equipped us for this task by framing our nature to function in a conscious, personal relationship of interactive responsibility with Him.  We are meant to exercise our 'rule' only in union with God, as he acts with us.  He intended to be our constant companion or co-worker in the creative enterprise of life on earth.  That is what his love for us means in practical terms."

"God nevertheless pursues us redemptively and invites us individually, every last one of us, to be faithful to him in the little we truly 'have say over.'  There, at every moment, we live in the interface between our lives and God's kingdom among us.  If we are faithful to him here, we learn his cooperative faithfulness to us in turn.  We discover the effectiveness of his rule with us precisely in the details of day-to-day existence."

"When we submit what and where we are to God, our rule or dominion then increases.  In Jesus' words from the parable of the talents (Matt. 25), our Master says, 'Well done!  You were faithful with a few things, and I will put you in charge of many things.  Share what your Lord enjoys'; that is, share the larger direction or governance of things for good.  For God is unlimited creative will and constantly invites us, even now, into an ever larger share in what he is doing.  Like Jesus, we can enter into the work we see our Father doing (John 5:17-19)."

-all Dallas Willard quotes 

Aligning our little kingdom under the say and direction of His Kingdom equals "thy Kingdom come, thy will be done on earth as it is in Heaven."   All of these quotes point me to John 15...


John 15New International Version (NIV)

The Vine and the Branches

15 “I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes[a] so that it will be even more fruitful. You are already clean because of the word I have spoken to you. Remain in me, as I also remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me.
“I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. If you do not remain in me, you are like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned.If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. This is to my Father’s glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples.






No comments:

Post a Comment