Friday, March 18, 2016

pondering prosperity

Chicago is a getaway city for me.  A five hour drive from home, it has become an annual destination in which I meet up with friends, have some down time, and enjoy the art, food, and pulse of big city living for a few days.  

For the past 2 1/2 days I have stayed in the Loop and walked up and down the streets for hours just observing and reflecting.  It's always such a jarring experience to have within my sight a place like the Trump tower alongside a homeless person begging at the nearby corner.  Oppulence alongside indigence leads to penitence for me.  

This morning, I walked by the beautiful old Methodist Church that now has a bank on the first floor. As I looked on,  I considered our country's definition of prosperity based on economics rather than a prosperity based on beloved community.  As I walk and wander, I wonder....how's that working out for us?  






No comments:

Post a Comment