Monday, March 14, 2016

Enrique's Journey



So often it is our tendency to dehumanize and demonize people.  In all of the political posturing over immigration policy and reform, I knew I needed to read this book. I'm in a book discussion each Thursday at the UNI library over this bestseller.  It is a heartbreaking read, but despite the harrowing realities for Enrique, he inspires me with his determination and resolve to keep moving toward his goal despite the unthinkable, horrific obstacles and risks that he faced on a daily basis.  

Also, after reading about unspeakable evil migrants face in the Chiapas region of Mexico, my hope was renewed by the residents further north who selflessly cared for and sacrificially gave to the migrants who passed their way.  

This book also helped me pray for my CCDA Cohort 6 friend, Alexia Salvatierra, who is an advocate and community organizer in California, a person whom God uses to help us truly see and love our immigrant neighbors.  


No comments:

Post a Comment