Sunday, February 15, 2015

why would we buy a house THERE?

Yesterday, we had an open house at the home we've been restoring in the Walnut Neighborhood of Waterloo.  It's a 1925 house that Mike and I bought from the City who had acquired it after it sat uninhabited for five years.  The neighborhood, once prestigious in the 30's and 40's, became a product of the middle-class and upper-middle class white and black flight of the following decades, and today, many label Walnut as "distressed", "ghetto", "dilapidated"; certainly not a good or logical investment.  Currently, this home is not our primary residence, though it might be in a few years, and many people ask us, "Now, explain the vision you have for this house." or "Why would you put your money into a house in this area?"  Here's why....

*The house offers a great place to offer hospitality and to bring people together.  I've spent a lot of time  in this neighborhood over the past seven years, and the house is just one next step as I work with others to build on assets in the neighborhood.     

*I recently read a friend's thesis that described in detail the history of segregation in our community. From the time of the Great Migration to attempts with an Urban Renewal Program that failed through an era of housing discrimination, the Cedar Valley has continued through the years to retain the title of Iowa's most segregated community.  One of the ways to reverse this trend is to invest in some of the neighborhoods hardest hit.  That's what we're doing.    

*The Walnut Neighborhood sits up against Waterloo's downtown.  Bob Lupton, developer and author, described it as "prime for revitalization".  It's not densely populated, it is not a large neighborhood, it has remaining character, and it is in a fantastic location up against a downtown that is working to revitalize.  Bob keyed the term "gentrification with justice".   Can we think about revitalization in a way that does not push those of lower economic means out?  Can we develop some kind of mixed income strategy that enacts gentrification/revitalization AND justice?  I'm for that.

*A few weeks ago I wrote a blog post entitled "moving out or moving in".  I described the way of Jesus and the sentiment of voices from marginalized places in our community as basically a "moving in" strategy.  "Join us, incarnate, come alongside."  I've been trying to listen and follow in this way of Jesus.  

*I have been a part of a serving mentality in our community for most of my 49 years of life.  I have seen little transformation regarding bridging racial or socio-economic divides, especially in the Christian community.  Our lives and society have been ordered in such a way to continue to perpetuate that kind of isolation and separation. This home is allowing Christ to reorder our lives in a way that helps us move from compartmentalized living toward more integration.  

*I believe that Jesus Christ is the reconciler, the restorer, the one who makes all things new.  In the Gospel of Mark, Jesus talked of pouring new wine in new wineskins.  We partner with Him in His world as He restores hearts, lives, and communities.  As He brings His Kingdom to earth.  Neighborhood transformation is a part of this new wine in new wineskins.  

*Finally, buying this house and restoring it has been a Jesus call on my life.  I'm grateful for Mike and our children who have been supportive every step in this.  I'm grateful to my parents who've caught the vision and done so much work to make it beautiful. I'm thankful to my brother and sister-in-law and the many friends who've worked in the restoration. I'm thankful to my church families of Orchard and Harvest who have been a part of this journey.  

Maybe you're called as well to join God at work in Walnut and to intentionally come be a neighbor.  :)  


before
after



 

No comments:

Post a Comment