Wednesday, February 25, 2015

prepare the way


Every time I've driven out West to see my brothers in Montana and Oregon, I've looked out the car window as we travel through the mountain passes and wondered how on earth any Native American or pioneer made it through the mountains and rough terrain on foot. While traveling 70 mph along well paved interstate, our headlights shining the way in the dark, and our vehicle creating a fairly sound enclosure of comfort, rest, and safety, I am quite certain I would have gotten lost and succumbed to cold, fatigue, hunger, injury, or a mountain lion had I been on foot with no road.    

My reading of Scripture today reminded me of those drives through the mountain passes out West. Orchard Hill is focusing on the last 27 chapters of Isaiah through Lent this year.  I have decided to spend time in those chapters as well, in order to align teachings at church, the Daily Scripture delivered in my email, and my own study and meditation time.  Today I read Isaiah 40.  I almost highlighted the whole thing.


I love the imagery in Isaiah 40:3-5.   Can you hear it? A voice calling in the wilderness preparing the way for the Lord.  God’s Word speaks of making a straight highway through the desert, about valleys being raised up and mountains and hills made low; the rough ground being made level and the rugged place a plain.  I picture a straight and flat paved road running straight through treacherous terrain…much like that drive along Interstate 90.   This is the way of the Lord…the road that allows sure footing, a clear and traversable path.   Verse 5 ends with: “the glory of the Lord will be revealed and all people will see it together. “ How awesome is that?  This level way through the wilderness, this straight path with dangers all around it, is a well-lit highway…lit by the glory of the Lord.  And not only will all people see it…we will see it together.  Somehow, that word together stands out as significant to me today.

Prior to these three verses are the opening verses 1 and 2 that speak of comfort and grace and peace and tenderness and mercy and forgiveness and abundance for a weary Jerusalem.   And right after speaking these hope-filled words in the opening two verses, the Bible talks about this highway, this way that is being prepared.  This way of grace and life and blessing and God’s glory. This way of Jesus.

Jesus, I desire to walk in your way.  You offer it to us.  It does not mean that we won’t experience bumps in the road, valleys and mountains, ditches and desert times.  We will, but they will not overtake us.  They will not consume us.  They will not cause us to get lost nor to fall and not get up.  We will find sure footing, strength, direction, and light on the way you have provided through these landscapes.  May we keep finding our way back to you if we fear we might succumb.  "In the wilderness, prepare the way for the Lord; make straight in the desert a highway for our God!"  


No comments:

Post a Comment