Tuesday, February 17, 2015

an apology to my lake house friends

A few days ago, I posted and wrote a statement that described why we bought a 2nd home in a distressed neighborhood. In describing how I've talked about it with others, I have sometimes said, "Some people buy a house on a lake for recreation.  We bought a 2nd home in Walnut for Christ's re-creation."  A friend of mine challenged me with this question today:  "Can't a person also buy a home on a lake for Christ's re-creation?"

My answer is yes, of course they can.  And that answer comes with my apology.  I did not mean to communicate that one is exclusive from the other.  And I'm sorry that I did communicate that. Heck, my family experiences Christ's re-creation every year up at a lake house.  Community, joy, rest, love, beauty.  My folks even drove to Newton, IA, last week to visit a neighbor from that Minnesota lake house neighborhood.  That's God's restorative work right there.  I also have dear friends who own a 2nd home on Clear Lake.  They have ministered to me multiple times as they've opened their home for me to have personal retreats.  And I've watched three friends who live on a river provide the hospitality and presence of Jesus in ways too many to count.

All geographic areas and physical structures aside, I fully recognize that I can be a participant in Christ's re-creation one given moment in our home...in any home...reflecting the goodness of the Kingdom of God.  In another given moment, I can be quite the antithesis of Christ's re-creation, representing only my little kingdom of self.  Truth is, I'm a mess and mix of both sacred and flawed humanity saved by God's grace no matter what roof I'm under.

I used the phrase I did because many people don't have difficulty understanding the purchase of another home on a lake or on the beach or in the mountains.   But people have had trouble understanding the purchase of another home in a neighborhood of ill reputation. I was hoping to help people see the possibility of new creation or re-creation and not see it as so "out there".  I'm sorry if the statement sounded like a judgment..I won't use that example again.



No comments:

Post a Comment