Monday, December 3, 2012

looking back #3: "doing"

Today in our staff meeting, we talked about the journey of racial reconciliation.  Several peers shared at how giant the obstacles are to overcome.  Several wanted to know what they could do.

For me, the best "doing" on this journey has been the following:

1. To allow God to interrupt and disrupt me.
2. To recognize that the obstacles ARE too overwhelming to overcome by people.   Only the grace and power of Jesus is greater and bigger than racism.  We must look to and live in Christ's reconciling work on the cross.
3. To let my powerlessness take me to prayer and to realize that prayer is by far the most powerful primary action.
4. To allow myself to grieve, lament, long for, hunger after something different in me and in our society.
5. To put myself in the presence of others that I've stayed separate from much of life.
6. To listen.
7. To keep going.  As Coach Wayne Gordon and Tom Skinner say, "to continue to continue."
(Gordon and Skinner....leaders in Christian Community Development Association)

No comments:

Post a Comment