Sunday, June 5, 2011

highlights from the first PIP of 2011






























God could not have provided a more beautiful day for our first Picnic in the Park of 2011. A few highlights from the day:

*I was driving around downtown handing out flyers and letting people know that today marked the beginning of another season of PIPs. One man was walking his dog, and I approached him with a flyer. "Oh ya, I know Picnic in the Park. Harvest, right? They accept me just as I am. I don't have to wear no fancy clothes or anything." Amen to that, brother.

*I sat down with a man at a picnic table and asked if he was going to eat. He said, "No, I don't eat here. I'm too independent, and I'm not that low. There are other people who need it more." I encouraged him to stop thinking of PIP as a charity picnic and more as a family picnic. He later came up for food.

*We had a great mix of OHC/Harvest/Neighborhood people serving on the food line today. And lots of kids stepped in to give relief to some of the others so they could get some food to eat. It was beautiful.

*I could overhear Brion teaching and caught a couple of his phrases that stuck with me: "I will preach the Gospel; not overbearingly but uncompromisingly." "I know who He is. And because I know who He is, I know who I belong to. And because I know who I belong to, I know who I am."

*After clean-up, Alizae was given the microphone and sang through some verses of "Amazing Grace" while several others cheered him on and sang along.

Other highlights from any of you who were there?

No comments:

Post a Comment