Tuesday, November 25, 2014

today's lament, today's hope

In the wake of the Ferguson riots last night after the grand jury's decision not to indict the officer who shot Michael Brown...

In the wake of the millions of tweets and images posted to the web....

I lament this morning.

I lament that race was ever constructed to classify, stratify, divide human beings and has been used across the world on the side of evil throughout history to this day.

I lament for all of the individuals and families everywhere who have been victim to racial injustice.

I lament for the frustration and the anger that is boiling over into rage on the streets of Ferguson and on the streets across our country daily.

I lament the sneaky internalization of superiority and inferiority that racism works into all of our lives.

I lament that the violent protesting will be used to widen the gaps and narrow the road toward healing.

I lament that many will not lament.

I hope this morning.

I hope in Jesus Christ.

I hope in His Word.

I hope in His love.

I hope in His sacrifice.

I hope in His power.

I hope in His peace.

14 For he himself is our peace, who has made the two groups one and has destroyed the barrier, the dividing wall of hostility, 15 by setting aside in his flesh the law with its commands and regulations. His purpose was to create in himself one new humanity out of the two, thus making peace, 16 and in one body to reconcile both of them to God through the cross, by which he put to death their hostility. 17 He came and preached peace to you who were far away and peace to those who were near. 18 For through him we both have access to the Father by one Spirit. (Ephesians 2)


I will look for signs of hope today.

I commit to being a sign of hope today.

2 comments:

  1. I lament for the people who lost their jobs, businesses, and community due to the rioting.
    I lament for those who were injured-making even more pain come out of this situation.
    I lament for those on the grand jury. They knew no matter what they did, there would be problems.
    I lament for the police, the firefighters, and the national guard, who are being put put in very difficult situations.
    I lament for the families involved.

    I pray for wisdom from above to bathe this situation and all of us--who are all affected by it.

    “The wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, reasonable, full of mercy and good fruits, unwavering, without hypocrisy” (James 3:17).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen. Thank you for adding these laments and prayer.

    ReplyDelete