Thursday, November 20, 2014

the loss of turtle island

Oh, how I wish I could go back a few days and invite many of my friends into an experience I had last night at the Mennonite Church in town!  Erica Littlewolf and Karin Kaufman Wall, both with the Mennonite Central Committee Central States (MCCCS), facilitated an interactive opportunity called "The Loss of Turtle Island" to explore the historic relationship between Europeans and the Indigenous nations who inhabit the land we now call the United States.  It was such an important exercise.

During the first hour, we stepped as First Peoples onto blankets that represented the land.  We listened as a timeline of policies, stories, and historical accounts were read that described the sentiments and actions that led to land domination and colonization by the Europeans.  Blankets were removed under us as the experience progressed.  Participants holding a variety of cards were asked to sit down at various times to represent the Native people who died from Small Pox, who lost their lives along the Trail of Tears, etc.. In the end, only four people remained huddled on a few blankets that were left in the middle of the room.




The experience was disturbing and sobering as we listened to...

-a short account of the millions of thriving First Peoples before the arrival of Columbus.

-a progression of events that led to the extermination of so many First Peoples, including the spread of disease, even the intentional spread of Small Pox.

-Troubling accounts that described how not only was the land that Native Americans lived on not recognized as theirs, but the Native American was not recognized as a person, a human.  Not until Standing Bear, a Ponca Native, who was arrested and detained for no reason, was there a legal battle to determine whether or not a Native was a human being.


As the trial drew to a close, Judge Dundy announced that Chief Standing Bear would be allowed to make a speech in his own behalf. Raising his right hand, Standing Bear proceeded to speak. Among his words were, "That hand is not the color of yours, but if I prick it, the blood will flow, and I shall feel pain," said Standing Bear. "The blood is of the same color as yours. God made me, and I am a man."[8]
On May 12, 1879, Judge Elmer S. Dundy ruled that "an Indian is a person" within the meaning of habeas corpus. He stated that the federal government had failed to show a basis under law for the Poncas' arrest and captivity.[9]
It was a landmark case, recognizing that an Indian is a “person” under the law and entitled to its rights and protection. “The right of expatriation is a natural, inherent and inalienable right and extends to the Indian as well as to the more fortunate white race,” the judge concluded. (source: Standing Bear-Wikipedia)  

-Troubling all the more was the movement in the late 1800's and early 1900's to "civilize and Christianize" the Native Americans by taking their children away to boarding schools.  This was done to strip them from their culture and assimilate them into the Euro-American culture.  Colonel Richard H. Pratt, the founder of one of these boarding schools, quoted, "Kill the Indian, save the man." 

The second hour of this experience was a critical debrief in the circle of the approximate twenty-five people present.  As we shared around the circle, I heard white people describe the anger, embarrassment, shame, sadness they felt.  I listened to people share new awareness of a history they did not get in public school.  I listened to people talk about how we do not consider our interconnectedness and how our lives and choices impact the lives of others in our world.  I personally thought about how internalized systemic oppression is...both for the oppressed and the oppressor, and how Manifest Destiny still lives deep within to this day.  I think I was most troubled by the actions that were done in the name of Christ, and I also thought about the patterns we tend to repeat and repeat and repeat through history.  Mostly, I wondered what we're doing today (or not doing) that we currently think is okay but is in reality, an atrocity and a continual perpetuation of injustice.  

Another question during the debrief was "How are you connected to this experience or events?"  As I listened around the circle, my connection to this experience was clear.  First, I am connected because I benefit from this history.  I was born on the side of privilege from these unjust actions to take land from people.  Second, I realized again that we can never grow forward into new creation without learning from our history, lamenting, and repenting from these patterns.  I know that I need to keep listening and learning, and I now have the responsibility to invite others into this journey with me.

With that said, Erica and Karin both shared a book that they  recommended I read as a next step.  It's called The Inconvenient Indian: A Curious Account of Native People in North America (written by Thomas King).  I already placed my order.   Want to join me?




2 comments:

  1. I just got the book through inter library loan. I'm reading it slowly and taking some notes but would love to meet up to talk about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather, I have the book now, but I won't likely start it until Christmas break. Give me until the end of December, and then, let's have some conversation! Thanks for ordering and reading it!

    ReplyDelete