Thursday, December 3, 2009

a new order

Will I order my life as if reconciliation and justice matter?

I've been pondering this question lately...considering the old world order of my life and the new kingdom order that I believe Jesus continues to call me into as his follower.

I ask questions like, if I really believe seeking reconciliation and justice are foundational and Scriptural mandates, how does my life reflect them? Do I believe all Christ-followers are called to reconciliation and justice (making things right), or do I believe that God only calls a select group to be about them? Do I largely continue on in my old world order and try to sprinkle a little reconciliation and justice work in on the side, or is God challenging me to consider how I've set up my life and what I could do to re-order it in such a way that the whole of my life reflects Christ's work of reconciliation and justice?

I think I'm getting why most missional material I'm reading these days, along with ccda components, hammer on relationships, relocation, incarnation, joining with. Without this lifestyle change, this re-ordering, the old world set-up will win out everytime in our schedules and priorities. Without the re-ordering, we end up keeping distance, and we generally don't reconcile or change the make-up of our circles very much. And when we end up keeping reconciliation at a distance, justice generally doesn't come about much.

I am aware that if I consider reconciliation and justice as "side dishes", then I will likely only get so far missionally before I get stuck. It's kind of the I'm-willing-to-do-this-much-but-then-I've-got-to-get-back-to-my-real-life-and-responsibilities kind of mode. But because we've set up how we do "real life" and how we do church in daily ways that largely ignore the poor and generally don't include people very different from us, then we will continue along without genuinely coming together to know one another and share life together.

So, I ask myself lots of questions. Where is my time spent? To what end? What am I hoping to produce? In the order of my life right now, how much of the activity leads my heart into God's love and heart for people, for reconciliation, for justice? How much of my life helps lead my children's lives into God's values of reconciliation and justice? How much do I self-protect? How and why do I keep distance? If I'm too busy elsewhere, is the substance of that busyness leading myself and others into being people of reconciliation and justice? Where is the current order and set-up taking me? It's a strange question, but I keep asking myself lately, "what am I breeding?" All questions to help me listen to my life and seek to stay in step with the Spirit of God.
Some good Scriptures for me in the questions and the steps forward:

Psalm 25:4-5 Show me your ways, O Lord, teach me your paths; guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my Savior.

Jeremiah 10:23 I know, O Lord, that a man's life is not his own; it is not for man to direct his steps.

2 Corinthians 5:17-18 Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come! All this is from God, who reconciled us to himself through Christ and gave us the ministry of reconciliation.


1 comment:

  1. You pose the best self awareness questions... I so believe that God is giving you more & more of His heart along the way. Just know that I stand "in tension" with you. I value your friendship more than you know...

    ReplyDelete