Monday, December 21, 2009

Christmas at your house

I'm banking on the odds that my family does not read this blog much, so I can share that I plan to write little affirmation notes to stuff in each of their stockings this Christmas next to the Dilbert calendar we get for Mike each year and the annual Christmas ornaments that go in the kids' stockings. As I consider ways to celebrate Christmas in meaningful ways, I'm curious about you...

What is something you do to help keep Christ the center of Christmas and to help make the holiday more meaningful?

2 comments:

  1. Laura- I have been asking God to help me be a blessing to others in some way these past few days. Sometimes we know when we are able to bless someone- open a door, give a push to a stuck car, but other times I think we may not know and that is a wonderful mystery to me. I have also asked God to help me see when someone else is a blessing to me.

    This Christmas is very different for me. When I start to feel the traditional world's view of the Christmas spirit,(lights cookies,parties,music), the images and emotions of the water walk we did keep coming up. I don't deserve what I have and feel sad for those that are struggling in so many different ways. Have to do something. Brian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brian, I saw some Christmas photos of Christie's. You have such a lovely family!

    Dave Bartlett has often spoken about how Christmastime is an emotional amplifier. Worldviews are amplified as well, and so it is much easier at Christmastime to see the chasm between the realities of the world's system and God's economy. The challenge for me at Christmas is the same as yours, Brian. To live as a peculiar person (Shane Claiborne language)who can readily see and receive Christmas blessings from others and to live out Christmas in a way that truly blesses others.

    ReplyDelete