Friday, October 23, 2009

The Freedom Museum











Kentucky's Freedom Museum is just over the bridge of the Ohio River, a river that separated a slave state from a free state by 179 yards. Several of us went to the museum today, and toured through the atrocities of the sale of human beings for the economic gain of white man. I was struck by two things as I walked through the journey from slavery to freedom. First, the propensity for evil in our hearts and flesh. And second, the perseverance and courage that God instills in the human spirit to pursue liberty. It was such a moving experience for me of confession and repentance for the ways my fellow human beings and myself have treated other fellow human beings with such injustice. Both in the past, but even today in ways that place my gain and power over someone else's basic rights and dignity. And there was such a power in the courage and activism of the abolitionists and runaway slaves. One woman declared, "I'd rather be a corpse than a coward." That I would have that resolve and passion as a follower of Jesus to fight the good fight for people's freedom in the spiritual sense and in the very tangible ways people are in bondage in our world.

No comments:

Post a Comment