Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Latest update from Molly

Molly is a friend who serves with YWAM (Youth with a Mission). She has recently completed some health care schooling in Australia and is out on the field putting her knowledge into practice. Below, she prays for a chance to see a baby born at the birthing clinic...I just received an email from her saying that she did indeed watch the birth of a baby while she was at the clinic. :)


Hello from Manila!
After 6 weeks up in Olongapo working in jails, slums, clinics and schools I've just arrived in Manila for my last 3 days in the Philippines. For my wonderful Iowa friends that go to Orchard I'm spending this time with the Cleope family. But let's rewind to the last few weeks in Olongapo...

Jail time:80 women smashed in to an area the size of a small house and small yard and right over the barbed wire fence is 800 men in an area made for 400 men. The Olongapo City Jail has been my favorite place to go. Each week I had the privileged to go in to the women's prison to teach basic health care, 6 women attended our sessions each week. It was so fun to teach them and help them understand hygiene, colds/coughs, dehydration, etc. We also got to bring encouragement to these women. God has come in to the Prison, all 6 of the women we taught have made comittments to be a disciple of Jesus. They are on fire for Jesus, they always told me about somethingn new and exciting they had read in the Bible or what God had told them just the other day, how God had used them. These women are in prison, but I've never seen such freedom in Christ. Through this time I have seen a new level of hope, a new understanding of what it means to be free in Christ. We also did 3 clinics, treating over 300 of the prison inmates, men and women alike. God is moving with in that jail!

Ieta People Group:One morning we jumped on trucks and drove out of the city in to the rice fields, it looked like we just morphed in to Cambodia (made me miss it) We set up a clinic at a missionaries school for this small people group, who do not speak Tagalog (the language of the Philippines) They are part of the Native Filippinos, this people group is so beautiful, they are very dark with wild curly afros, so beautiful! Many of them live in poverty, with no medical help. We got to be an answer to prayer by this missionary couple. It was blast to go and help people who had various sickness. I seemed to get all the LOL (Little Old Ladies) with aches and pains. It was joy to sit with them, listen to them and pray over their achy bodies. We all left with huge smiles. I also encountered screaming babies for the first time at clinic. It seemed like all the children were afraid of thermometers, we had to do some distraction games with them as we took their temps. Screaming babies are always fun to check. haha.

Manila:So I'm here with Mary and Malcolm, I'm actually at their kid's amazing school. When I arrived it was Mother's day, so i got to partake of Mother's Day pizza and ice cream, always a blessing. Played soccer with some high school students from their school and took a trip to the super market with Mary. I have an opportunity to shawdow a woman that works at a birthing center, I'm pray for a lady in labor! I would love to see up close what really happens. We will see what happens! Off to Vanuatu:Wednesday I head off for 4 weeks to the lovely country of Vanuatu! Please pray for our team as we head to a new nation, new people, new things to do, new medical problems and new solutions! I love the Nation of Vanuatu and so glad that I get to return to it!

Peace for Manila.
Molly

No comments:

Post a Comment