Sunday, May 31, 2009

Holy Spirit, Come.

I'm one who battles with how to pray for those who have physical ailments, maybe even a terminal diagnosis. A friend from church, Barb, is likely to be in the last day or two of her earthly life (I wrote about her back on a March 5 post...she has lived longer than doctors expected her to live.) Our children ask me if she will for sure die or if it is possible that God will heal her and make her well. My answer rings lame in my ears. I say things like, "God is able and powerful enough to heal her, but from all appearances, she will likely die soon." I often don't pray in confidence and boldness for God to provide that power, for there is a nagging whisper saying, "Can you even dare pray for the miracle of physical healing since it most likely won't happen?" Nice faith, huh?

I heard a really good tape last week at a Bible Study that was explaining the history and roots of the Vineyard movement. John Wimber, one of the founders, was used by God in many physical healings, and it was fascinating to hear his story, but what was even more valuable to me was his teaching about prayer when healing is needed.

Wimber talked about the Kingdom breaking through. Jesus ushered in the Kingdom, and from that time til now, the Kingdom....God's reign, God's will, Heaven on earth...is breaking through wherever the Spirit so moves in His supernatural power. We, as God's people, should be praying for the Holy Spirit to move in power...for the Kingdom to break through....and we should be both prayerful and expectant for the Kingdom to show itself in our lives and in the lives and circumstances around us. There are no 3-sure-steps to make the Spirit move at our request, but Wimber's teaching was helpful for me to consider my words and my focus as I pray for healing and restoration in lives around me and in our world.

"Holy Spirit, Come." What a great breath prayer. What a great prayer of expectancy and dependency on God. "Holy Spirit, come. In your power, break through. Show yourself. Move. Your Kingdom come in this situation. Your will right here, God, right here. Make your glory known right here, God."

2 comments:

  1. I really like that last quote... something I don't pray very often but it's so simple and easy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, Heather. It shows dependence and surrender from us, and acknowledges the mightiness and power of the Holy Spirit.

    ReplyDelete