Saturday, April 18, 2009

refresh



Though much of this blog is about faith in action...living missionally, outwardly-focused lives...I cannot neglect writing about the recreation needed to refresh the soul and give sustaining power to our lives.

Spring is my most demanding season. I can often tell I'm in need of more silence and solitude and more recreation. I often think I don't have the time for these in the midst of the task list, but I know from past experience that if I'll intentionally engage in them anyway, I tend to live out my actions from a healthier center, more sensitive to the Spirit of God with more focus on His steps than my own.

We live on an acreage and have created a "campground" in one of the areas of it. Last night, we initiated campfire season '09, as the temps in Iowa were in the 70's yesterday. My husband, children, my brother and sister-in-law, along with hotdogs, hamburgers, and s'mores around the fire (as well as two salivating dogs at our side). Clear, starry night, great family, peaceful crackling of a warm fire...thanks, God, for the good gift of recreation. What do you like to do that refreshes you?

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for this post, Laura. What a good plan to unplug for a while, and sit by the fire. We like campfires, too. Nature refreshes me--canoeing, walking, sitting by a river, watching the sun go down... oh, and a hot bath, too. Music has a way of changing a mindset, too. Darwin and I have been listening to Elton John's "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" lately. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, good ol' Elton! I recently picked up a few oldies cd's at the library...Queen, Boston, Chicago.

    ReplyDelete