Friday, April 10, 2009

new tennies, a pedometer, and a training calendar

I signed up to do a marathon. I smile as I type that because that seems quite ridiculous considering that I've never so much as run a 5K, and the last time I ran an entire mile nonstop was in 1983, my senior year of high school.

But I am so excited! I get to fundraise for World Vision, a Christian relief organization I have a great deal of respect for. I get to train with a coach whom I trust and love, and I get to do this with several friends. Even more, I bought really cool new running shoes today, a pedometer to measure my steps, AND I got my awesome Team World Vision shirt in the mail the other day. AND I have every day of the next 8 week pre-training schedule on my daily calendar in red ink. I'm a runner now! I'm revved and ready for the big day Oct. 11!

Oh blast, I think I actually have to run and consistently DO the training schedule.

Isn't this just how we are as people? We buy diet books and gym memberships in hopes that the tools themselves will transform our bodies. We buy the latest cool looking journals and slick writing pens in hopes that these will make us journalers. We read lots of good Christian books in hopes that they'll be the spiritual growth we desire. I'm not saying that these tools aren't useful in helping to provide the means to an end, but if you're like me, we hope the tools themselves will create the end results we desire. No deal. To really know running, not just know about it, I gotta put my cool new tennies to the pavement...a lot....over the next months to become a runner. One day at a time. Consistent practice. Engagement in the act of running.

To really know Jesus and not just know about him, I gotta put my faith to the floor...one day at a time... consistent practice...engagement with Jesus.

3 comments:

  1. That is all so true... I expect to hear updates from you so we can see how you prepare for the marathon. This morning, I ran my two miles that I've been wanting to do for two weeks now.. amazingly, running/jogging becomes addictive and you feel so much better after getting a good workout. I have days where I "need" to go jogging, it has become such a good part of my life. Keep us posted, and Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to have you on the team Laura! What a great visual...putting your tennies, and your faith, to the floor.

    Lauren
    (on staff with TWV)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alright, some built in encouragement and accountability right on the blog! Heather, it's been inspiring to see how active your lifestyle has become this past year, and Lauren, nice to "meet" you. The marathon must have been a good experience for you...I see you are heading toward a half ironman now!

    ReplyDelete