Monday, April 13, 2009

10x100 for World Vision

The phone was ringing off the hook today at church for Don Williams, on staff at our church but also coaching and organizing this "Iowans for Africa" team, a "sub-team" of Team World Vision. It's marathon mania! The momentum is incredible right now. Wow, do people like a challenge! Don told me there's around 50 registered today to run the Chicago Marathon as part of this Iowa team, and he's getting calls with more and more interest.

We're fundraising and running for World Vision (http://www.worldvision.org/), a great Christian relief organization. World Vision is the group that brought the World Vision AIDS Experience to our church in November, and we've partnered with them for several 30 Hour Famines in the past with our students. I love the work that God is doing through them. One of the most valuable books I've read about transformational development, Walking with the Poor, was written by Bryant Myers, who was on staff at World Vision.

In high school, I ran 4 x 220's. Now, I'm going to run a 10 x100...campaign that is. I'm campaigning to receive $10 by 100 people. You can check out my link at www.firstgiving.com/laurahoy If you look to the right on that page, you can also click on "join this team" just to get a gander at who all has joined the team. (It doesn't commit you to joining if you click that! :)) I'm up to 2 minutes of jogging at a time without collapsing (last week was one minute intervals). Oh, the distance I must travel in the months ahead!

No comments:

Post a Comment