Friday, August 18, 2017

race recovery: what lies beneath part 1

God created humans who have a rich variety of ethnic heritage, cultures, languages, personalities, physical traits.

Humans created race, a construct intended to create a hierarchy of human value for the purpose of power and economic gain. 

There’s so much I still need to learn about the history of this construct called race and both the psychological, spiritual, and social impact it has had on others and on me, a white, middle class Christian woman from the Midwest. 

As in any good recovery program, we are asked to explore our families of origin, the narrative of our upbringing.  So, too, with race.  I need to learn about race and racism through the generations in this country and how I have been taught to think and see and believe through a racialized worldview.

In 2011, I took an Undoing Racism class led by the People’s Institute of Survival and Beyond.  I learned about internalized racial oppression that results in internalized inferiority for those who have been oppressed, and internalized superiority for those who are among the oppressing people group.  We studied how both manifest themselves in our society, and I thought, “uh-oh, I have some serious work to do to become more adept at recognizing, naming, and working to recover from my own internalized racism." 

Manifestations of internalized superiority are things like privilege, individualism, denial, defensiveness, intellectualism, exceptionalism, protected status, entitlement.  So much of this is wrapped into what I have been raised to believe is the normal and right way to see the world, so I have to be very diligent about taking a journey with Christ and others so that I might  “be transformed by the renewing of my mind.” (Romans 12:2)

In the video below, Joy Degruy Leary describes the multigenerational trauma that racism has caused and the persistence of a hierarchical, racialized worldview that has been passed on from one generation to the next with no corporate reckoning or healing of any sort along the way.

I need to study the history that I never learned in America’s public schools.  I need to hear from the voices who encourage me to look and think critically about history and the narrative that has been promoted broadly.  I need to ask myself, “How did I grow up thinking about people of color?”  “How and what did I think about inner cities, discrimination, injustice?” “What messages did I receive from history books and classes?  From media?”  “In what ways has institutionalized racism impacted my own humanity?” “What have I gained and what have I lost due to racism?”


The first step in recovery is always an awareness of what lies beneath in me.  How can I do this?  By opening myself up to other voices who share their truth and experiences,  I can begin to identify and name my own brokenness within a racialized society.  Why can I do this?   Because of Jesus Christ.  Because He gives me the grace to do it.  His mercy and forgiveness allow me the safety and assurance to face it.  He is the healer whose reconciling power can help me heal and see myself and my neighbor in a whole new way.  I read this on Twitter today:  The battle against racism within ourselves can begin with a simple prayer: Lord, show me the lies I believe. Forgive me for believing them.  Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment