Saturday, May 7, 2016

CCD Saturday: with

It was 2009, and I was driving a nine year old boy back to his apartment at the House of Hope after he went on an outing with our family.  As we approached the Walnut Neighborhood, I pointed out a big church in the neighborhood that was for sale, and I shared with this youngster a dream of having such a great building where we could have a lot of cool things going on for young people.  I'll never forget his response:

"Please don't tell me that it would just be for poor kids."  

I.'s statement arrested my heart.  He offered a defining moment for me and helped to shape the vision, mission, and strategy of Link Christian Development. At the same time I.'s words were spoken, I was learning through Christian Community Development Association about the difference of being IN, FOR, and WITH a neighborhood.  

CCD is about WITH. Link CCD is about linking people and places WITH one another in order to join Jesus in his restoring mission in the world.  This requires a paradigm shift from a paternalistic FOR to a reconciling community WITH.  

Journeying WITH.  Learning WITH. Serving WITH. Forming friendships WITH. Studying the Bible and worshiping WITH. Building community WITH.  Seeking justice WITH.  Doing more of life WITH.


No comments:

Post a Comment