Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Willard Wednesdays

My son and daughter were at a national youth conference this summer in Colorado where Alex Harris, author of Do Hard Things, spoke to the crowd of three thousand teens.  The event was streamed live, so I had the chance in Iowa to hear Alex as well.  During his message, he encouraged teens to "make friends with dead people".  Harris suggested that we all need mentors, but so often our living mentors have busy lives and might be difficult to sit down with very regularly.  On the other hand, spiritual giants who have lived and died but have left behind some of their books and writings make excellent mentors for us as we walk with Jesus.

I "amen"-ed loudly as Alex shared.  One such mentor and spiritual director in my life is Dallas Willard. Willard directs me to the heart of Jesus and the Kingdom of God so profoundly.  When I listen to Willard teach on the Kingdom and on spiritual transformation, the Holy Spirit taps into my deepest longings and helps me to better understand what a life lived in the Kingdom of God looks like.  I decided that I'd dedicate Wednesday blog posts to some Willard thoughts, quotes, links the rest of this year.


Dallas Willard from his talk on youtube entitled "The Kingdom of God" found here

"The new frontier for humanity is always the Kingdom of God.  That's it.  All the others are illusions.  The only way forward is the Kingdom of God as a disciple of Jesus Christ.  The only way forward.  It's the only way home.  And home is where forward is and forward leads home.  Because the Trinity is meant to be the abiding place of the human soul."  


No comments:

Post a Comment