Sunday, January 15, 2012

from where we have come

I've been feeling a burden overnight that I didn't bring up when we were gathered together for the MLK Jr. party last night, but I want to bring up briefly here.

The group opened last night in a big circle.  Each person sharing their name, what food they brought, and a bit about their heritage.  We closed last night in another big circle, and during our prayer time, heritage was again brought up.  It was during the prayer that I felt the pain for our brothers and sisters who have been robbed through slavery from knowing much about their heritage and ancestry.  This wasn't voiced aloud last night, but I recognized the tension and was sensitive to the absence of not being able to mention the roots of some of our friends gathered last night.  Maybe I was particularly sensitive to it because my mom is a genealogy fan who has been tracing our family line back 250 years into Germany.  I feel a sense of sadness about that today, and I'd like to tell many black friends that I am confident that someday in eternity they will be introduced to their rich family history.  I am also so grateful that as we all trace back, we can be confident in finding our amazing Creator and Father who fearfully and wonderfully made us all in His image and who in Christ makes us all brothers and sisters.

2 comments:

  1. We felt it, too, Laura. "Robbed" is a good word to describe something so tragic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. True...being different stems from the past but it doesnt mean that it cant be mended in the future. DO your work, we are behind u in prayers

    ReplyDelete