Friday, January 20, 2012

17, 011 days in

I'd be sure to receive the author's severe reprimand for speedbrowsing through a book called The Power of Slow (Hohlbaum, Christine Louise, 2009, St. Martin's Press), but I did.  I can't help myself from taking home several books from the "New Books" shelf at the public library, knowing full well I won't arrange my time to read most of them.

Ah, well, as long as we're on the subject of time, here's a quote from The Power of Slow:


..."the term 'time management' itself is contradictory.  How can you manage something as uncontrollable as time?  It exists whether we do or not.  The only things you can manage or control are the activities in which you engage during the time you have available to you.  It is inarguable that we all get twenty-four hours a day.  And Americans live, on average, approximately 28,000 days.  That gives us about 672,000 hours to make use of.  While there are broad variations from one person's life span to the next, we all get to choose what to do with the time we have.  Most of us do not know how long we have to live.  This uncertainty makes our relationship with time extremely personal.  We begin our lives with our own individualized bank account of time.  It is up to us as to how we spend our temporal currency."

I'm 17,011 days into my earthly time bank.  Praying I'll invest the balance in learning to love and follow Christ without reservation.

2 comments:

  1. Laura, you make me chuckle. But a great reminder that our time is limited.. so use it wisely. Interesting comment that 'it exists whether we do or not', so true but kind of a tough realiztion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We all go at our custom speed. It's when we try to adapt to someone else's speed long-term that we get into trouble.

    Speedbrowsing is perfectly okay as I am a firm believer that everything happens for a reason and when we live in trust, we get exactly what we need, when we need it.

    I would welcome your conversation on my various social media platforms. http://powerofslow.org is a great start. Best to you!

    ReplyDelete