Friday, May 6, 2011

seeking things or seeking God?

"We are seeking things instead of seeking God."

These were some of John Perkins' words during Immersion. They were close again today as I spent three hours with a young man during a prison visit in Ft. Dodge. As I listened to *Marv tell his story, I heard him talk about growing up in Cabrini Green. He lived with both parents, which was a rarity, and he felt like the situation was not all that bad at home. But then he started going to some ministry camps as a kid, being mentored, etc., and Marv saw how others lived with so much more in the area of material goods. He began to long for things. Toward the end of his teens, he came to visit his brother who had moved to Waterloo and was dealing drugs. Marv saw the nice cars, nice clothes, nice electronics, nice stuff, and he wanted it. He fell in line with his brother in order to get such things.

The god of materialism is so prevalent for both rich and the poor in America. The comfort, convenience, and status found in things creates a desire for more and more, newer and better. Speaking as one who would be classified upper-middle class, I know that the lifestyle I've grown accustomed to makes it more difficult for me to give up or give sacrificially. Greed, ease, pleasure, security become roadblocks for me to care more authentically for those who are vulnerable or oppressed in our society and to trust God more with life and resources. I want to give, but I don't want to give up anything in doing so. My self-protection is greater than my love for others.

I see the god of materialism rampantly eating up some people who are considered poor as well. The desire to have things that they see all around them, the desire for status and approval in the world's eyes, the feelings of deprivation, along with unequal opportunity and access, have led some to deal drugs or steal. Some others spend unwisely and wastefully on material items even though finances should have gone toward bills and needs. Comfort, convenience, and status drive the purchasing, and the poor become lured in just the same as the wealthy.

I was just reading a new report out by George Barna Research. It states that areas of growing importance for American adults are lifestyle comfort, success, and personal achievements. These values are being pursued at the expense of faith and family. As I read this, as I look at my own life, and as I observe what's happening in our world in the areas of economics, politics, race relations, I understand why Jesus had more to say about money than any other subject. It seems that the hunger and love for money and things may be the greatest competitor for our hearts.





No comments:

Post a Comment