Friday, May 20, 2011

the Rapture and teachable moments

If anything, Harold Camping has certainly spurred some good conversation at our home. Camping, the leader of Family Radio Christian Network, and his organization have predicted that Jesus will come to rapture His Church tomorrow, May 21, 2011. Camping has advertised this Judgment Date on billboards and in press around the globe. Even our local newspaper has jumped on the story (sigh) and it was front page coverage in yesterday's Courier (sigh, sigh). You can read articles here or here.

Amidst the comments from my sixth grade son about today being the last day of school for him in his life, the Cubs not going out very well, and the Miami Heat not being able to seal the championship, we have had some good conversations and opened Scripture to see what the Bible does say about Christ's return. And we've been talking about how we should live as followers of Christ on a daily basis...living in a close, dynamic relationship with Jesus, living a kingdom life with Christ whether that be here on this earth or in eternity beyond, and being prepared at any time for either our earthly death or Christ's return.

It's been good food for thought and conversation....kind of a priorities and values check...to consider the question "If we really knew that the date of either our earthly departure or the world's end was close at hand, what would we change in our lives?" and "Why do we so often live like we have loads of time to change and do things differently anyway?"

4 comments:

  1. I think that just shows the awesomeness of God. I mean if we knew what time we were to leave earth down to the last second, some of us would live our lives any ole kind of way and THEN get right with God within the last few hours or days, etc. Not knowing let's the "qualified" people get in, the ones who TRULY love God with all their hearts, minds, and souls. I mean I'm not explaining it clearly as it is in my head, but man that's powerful and awesome to me. Like how many of us would give our life over to God if we really could live anyway we wanted to without any consequences? I'm not saying this is what God is doing, but would you want someone experiencing your paradise/home and they really don't want a relationship with you, really don't love you, just don't want to have the bad things in life? I know I wouldn't! If you weren't there from the start, then how can I say you truly do LOVE me, I wouldn't think you loved me but just that you're using me and looking at me like your genie, etc. I think we should devote our entire lives to God! Every second of our lives should be used because we're striving to live a life for God and nothing else. I LOVE God and sometimes I forget because I get distracted by the cares of this world,the affairs of my life but God is still amazing and I still love Him and strive to do my best. I am forever grateful that He gave me a choice to follow Him instead of forcing me to do it because at least this way it's sincere, genuine, and pure! Boy how I just LOVE our God! SI do apologize for sending this long comment, but those are the thoughts that came into my head as I was sitting here reading this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. God really is all-wise and awesome, isn't He? And don't apologize for the long comment; it's good to hear about your devotion and love for God out of a grateful heart for His love for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "food for thought" something we all certainly need to chew on!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very impressive...God is really great he give us a chance to apologize our sins.

    ReplyDelete