Tuesday, April 5, 2011

day one with John Perkins

John Perkins is influencing my life and call perhaps more than any other person in my adult life. A few quotes from the time he spent with the group yesterday.

"We have a theological problem. We have put the Gospel into our race, our culture, our nation, and we've created a powerless gospel."

"We have been indoctrinated with racism and bigotry. We have reduced God to fit into our cultural boxes."

"We've substituted the power of God for prosperity. We've reduced God to our cultural biases. We're seeking God for what we can get, not seeking God for God. We're seeking things rather than God."

"Put yourselves in the hand of God. Know God. Trust God's goodness. This isn't about me and my ministry. It's about knowing God. It's about God."

"We're calling ourselves Christians before we're disciples. We have to be about discipleship. I was discipled three years so that I could know how to observe Jesus and follow him."

"I need a God stronger than racism. We gotta do this thing together. It's powerful when we get in this pain together. We gotta get some passion happening. I believe that if there is a group of people who are willing to obey even a little bit that God is so concerned about this that He will get up under us in this."

No comments:

Post a Comment