Wednesday, November 3, 2010

something new

Youth Art Team (www.youthartteam.blogspot.com) and my friend, Heidi, are inspiring me these days. I had a terrible art teacher in elementary school, and there weren't any aspiring artists in my family either. Therefore, I have few to no memories of me drawing, painting, creating art as a youngster. I entered my teen and adult years with the mindset of "I can't draw" and left it at that.

Over the past few weeks, as I've watched youth art team members, including my daughter, use watercolors in their sketchbooks and begin to paint on canvas, I thought, "Why not?" Why not try my own hand at this when there is no risk, no expectation, just freedom to experiment? So, off to Hobby Lobby last week to purchase some art supplies at home for me and family members. What to paint became the next question.

Our church sends out a daily Scripture encouragement, and over the next three weeks staff members are sharing a verse and thought about a Scripture that reminds them of their identity in Christ. What if I read through the verses and spent some time reflecting on them as I painted a picture related to each verse shared?

That's what I've done the past three days. Three observations I'm making:

1. I may not be the next Picasso, but it's been really fun.
2. I have really liked interacting with Scripture in this very new way these past few days.
3. I enjoy trying new adventures that I'd never considered previously in my life before a few years ago...a marathon, piano lessons, and now a little watercolor in my life.



What "something new" do you think you might want to try your hand at this fall?


2 comments:

  1. Laura, this is so awesome! I especially like the hen & chicks painting – great shapes. ;)

    This Youth Art Team adventure is so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heidi, you should take a look at Doug's sketchbook. Has he shown it to you? Utterly stunning work. Mine is the artwork of my inner stunted elementary artist-self; Doug's are the masterpieces of a gifted artist. He told me you gave him the sketchbook for his bday awhile back.

    ReplyDelete