Saturday, October 30, 2010

Why a Christmas Store?

Why a Christmas Store this year rather than just giving gifts to those in need?

Bob Lupton, author of Compassion, Justice, and the Christian Life says this in his book,

“Something seems to go wrong when one with valued resources attempts to distribute them to others in need. The transactions, no matter how compassionate, seem to go sour in the gut of both giver and recipient. A subtle, unintentional message slips through: “You have nothing of worth that I desire in return.” The giver remains protected by his one-up status while the recipient is exposed and vulnerable.”

“Betterment does for others; development enables others to do for themselves…betterment tends to erode dignity, while development strengthens capacity.”

This is at the core of why we've chosen to create a Christmas Store. Giving gifts...the haves to the have nots...does not often strengthen capacity nor does it build community. It seems, instead, to keep us separate from one another. The "haves" can feel good about themselves for their generosity, and the "have nots" can feel just a bit worse about themselves for not being able to provide.

I was thinking about this whole Christmas gift giving the other day as I was trying to imagine the difference it might make to allow a parent to shop and buy gifts for their children as opposed to someone handing them an armload of gifts. I tried to imagine a Christmas morning at our house if Mike and I purchased no gifts for our children, Sara and Nathan. A knock on our door and in walks our neighbors, the Martinson's, with a stack of amazing gifts for our kids. I wouldn't harbor any negative thoughts toward them...I would be grateful to them for blessing our family. But I would feel inadequate myself. A bit embarrassed and ashamed, perhaps. Personally, I believe we've gone way overboard as consumers at Christmastime (I include myself in this), but even with that being true, I think I would still like to be the one providing a gift for my child over a stranger doing so. What about you? What do you think?

And please know that I don't mean that there is never a place for giving a gift to someone in need. I think there definitely is a place for that. I, also, believe though, that we've often take the easy way out through charity giving which does nothing to strengthen relationship or empower people. I think we need to begin to think more critically about what will actually begin to help develop people and transform our communities.

No comments:

Post a Comment